Next available day 10h of February. Duration: 1 day
ONE DAY NAVIGATION COURSE
Strenuous hike: Duration 1 day
How to read and understand maps. including setting of the map, its index, contours and scales.
Basic Compass work, Understanding and how to use a compass, including taking a bearing and following it.
We will discuss the fundamentals of Leave no trace and how you should incorporate it into your planned walk.
Introduction to map reading and compass work:
Meeting at 8.30 am. This is a one-day course is held in Lackan, Co. Wicklow. This is a great area with plenty of trails and mountain features, to learn and practice your new skills.
At the end of this course you will have a good understanding of how to read a map and how to use your compass properly for navigating on the hills, although practice does make perfect. The course is taught both indoors and outdoors.
FIRST OUTDOOR SESSION
- Introduction to your map and other types of walking maps. (Here we start using OSI sheet 56 for this course)
- Scales of a map, what they mean. 1:50,000, 1:25,000
- Grid references what are they and how to get them
- What is a map representing,
- Understanding features on your map, trails, and rivers. Contour lines, index.
- Introduction to your compass
- How to set your map with your location.
- Recognise features like saddles, peaks, gulleys and spurs, on the ground and on your map.
- How to choose a safe route for your hike.
- Timing and Pacing for measuring distances on the ground.
- Taking a bearing from your map to walk on.
- How to measure distance from your map and apply this to the ground.
- Using some simple navigation techniques to get to your required location.
Wear or bring appropriate clothing as we will be stopping a lot.
The course will be taught by a recognised Mountain Leader and skills provider with Mountaineering Ireland.
1 day Starting 8 30 and finish around 4 0clock
- Price € 65.00 per person.
Minimum of 4 people require for hike to run
- A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 72hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
- A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 10 Days in advance.
- No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 14 days or more days in advance.
WHAT TO BRING
- Walking Boots
- Rain gear jacket and pants
- OSI Sheet 56 Map
- Compass Silva Type 4
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Extra Tops
- A heavy fleece or down jacket
- Sun Cream
- Water minimum 1.5 litres
- Gloves and hats
- Any essential medicines.
Lunch – Bring your own lunch and tea, as we will head straight out onto the trails. We will try getting as much in as possible. So we will eat lunch on the go or and a short stop.
We use OSI Sheet 56 on this course and Silva 4 type compass. Get yourself a water proof map or a waterproof case to keep your map dry and secure. Zip lock bags will do also.