MOUNTAIN SKILLS COURSES
MOUNTAIN SKILLS TRAINING
The Mountain Skills (MS) training scheme provides a general introduction to hillwalking and introduces the basics of mountain navigation, thereby providing a solid foundation for gaining personal mountaineering skillsets. It is nationally accredited by Mountaineering Ireland. Mountain Skills courses teach the necessary skills in mountain safety, Map reading,navigation, hazard awareness, and personal equipment, so that when you finish the course you can safely, and competently hike in the mountains of Ireland.
Mountain Skills training is divided into three blocks, MS1, MS2 and MS Assessment. MS1 and MS2 are the basic training blocks covering all aspects of hillwalking that the candidate will require to become a self-sufficient hiker.
MS training and assessment is an essential prerequisite for those who wish to progress onto the Mountain Leader Scheme.
It is an advantage if YOU have some previous hillwalking experience before you embark on a Mountain Skills training course. There is no minimum age limit to MS training or assessment.
The Mountain Skills 1 course covers:
- Map reading and basic navigational techniques.
- Mountain Skills Scheme & Mountaineering Ireland role.
- Contour interpretation and identifying mountain features.
- Mountain hazards.
- Personal equipment and clothing.
- Leave no trace principles.
The Mountain Skills 2 course builds on MS1 and covers:
- Use of a compass, both with a map and the landscape.
- Route planning and route cards.
- Navigation work including and importantly bad weather and night navigation
- Safe travel on steep ground techniques.
- Emergency procedures.and mountain rescue.
- Mountain Skills Training 1 €135
- Mountain Skills Training 2 €135
WHAT TO BRING
Lunch – Bring your own lunch and tea, as we will try getting as much in as possible. So we will eat lunch on the go or and a short stop.