Next Trips: 4th |5th feb Duration: 2 days
BUILD YOUR CONFIDENCE IN THE HILLS
Strenuous hike: Duration 2 days
This course is all about allowing you to build your skill set and your confidence, in order to have a clear understanding of how to keep yourself safe and in control on the mountains.
The course include 2 Full days of detailed lessons, mostly outdoors on the trails and mountains with some classroom learning also in order to understand some basic theory behind what you are about to learn.
You will learn the necessary skills to give you confidence and the freedom to walk new routes and mountain ranges. This includes, understanding Maps and compass, Mountain Safety, Clothing and Equipment, Mountain travel and Route cards.
Start time is 9 oc finishes 5 oc. Each indoors course will be approx. 3 hours in length. The rest of the time is spent on trails and open hillside and mountains. All walking will be on terrain suitable for those who are just starting out hill walking and intermediates wishing to venture out further by themselves, so we will keep all walking at an easy pace. The course is designed to teach beginners and those looking to gain confidence to venture further by themselves.
The course will be over 2 days. Wear or bring appropriate clothing as there will be lots of stoppages.. The course will be taught by a recognised Mountain Leader and skills provider with Mountaineering Ireland.
- Price € 125.00 per person.
Minimum of 4 people & maximum 8 per group
- A cancellation fee of 100% applies for cancellations made less than 72hrs in advance, or in case of no-show.
- A cancellation fee of 50% applies for cancellations made less than 10 Days in advance.
- No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made 14 days or more days in advance.
2 Full days of detailed lessons, mostly outdoors on the trails and mountains.
You will learn the ness skills, to give you confidence and freedom to walk new routes and mountain ranges. These include, understanding Maps and compass, Mountain Safety, Clothing and Equipment, Mountain travel and Route cards.
The weekend will be based in Laragh Co. Wicklow.
- Understanding different types of maps and their scales.
- How to read a map and understand it as a 3d image.
- How to set your map.
- Pacing and timing.
- Compass basic understanding and usage.
- Leve no trace fundamentals.
- What’s in your back pack for a day’s hike.
- Safety and weather in the mountains.
WHAT TO BRING
- Walking Boots
- Rain gear jacket and pants
- OSI Sheet 56 Map
- Compass Silva Type 4
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Extra Tops
- A heavy fleece or down jacket
- Sun Cream
- Water minimum 1.5 litres
- Gloves and hats
- Any essential medicines.
Lunch – Bring your own lunch and tea, as we will head straight out onto the trails. We will try getting as much in as possible. So we will eat lunch on the go or and a short stop.
We use OSI Sheet 56 on this course and Silva 4 type compass. Get yourself a water proof map or a waterproof case to keep your map dry and secure. Zip lock bags will do also.