Hiking is one of the best forms of exercise for mind and body, here are some reasons why you should take to the hills.
You will experience the environment & scenery that makes up our world. In general, it is an all weather activity. It’s a great way to make new friends. It works wonders on the body, great for exercise. Proven benefits of mental health. You get the chance to see the world……….
As well as having a fantastic day out, the other benefits you will see are:
- Improvement in mental health and well being
- Decrease in stress level
- Learning about your local environment and further afield
- Getting out into the heart of nature and actually experiencing it
- Get to know your colleagues more and making a real connection
- Team building
- Hiking reduces your chances of heart disease.
- Hiking on a regular basis can lower your blood pressure by 4 to 10 points.
- A frequent walk in the woods can help reduce your chances of getting diabetes. If you already have the disease, hiking, combined with a proper diet, can reduce or even eliminate the need for insulin therapy.
- As a weight-bearing exercise, hiking can help stave off osteoporosis.
- A regular exercise program centred around hiking, coupled with a sound diet, can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Depending on your pace and other factors, you can burn up to 500 calories per hour hiking
- A walk in the woods can clear your head — and that’s not us talking, that’s your endorphins, according to recent studies. It’s also effective at reducing stress and relieving anxiety.
- Hiking improves muscle fitness
- Hiking lower your risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Hiking can lower your risk of colon and breast cancer.
- After a good hike, you’ll sleep better.
Sources: American Heart Association, Diabetes Institute, WebMD.com, University of Southern California, American Cancer Society, National Sleep Foundation.